[OpenAFS-devel] AFS + GFS = crazy?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:05:40 -0400

>For a while I've been toying with an idea in my mind
>and I thought hey, maybe you can dissuade me... :)
>
>It seems to me that it would be in interesting idea
>make something that looks like an AFS fileserver on
>the 'rx side' but which doesn't actually have any
>/vicepx disks, but is instead very similar to a
>Google File System "master server" which parcels the
>actual file bits out to a series of GFS "chunkservers".

Hartmut Reuter is working on something that you could abstract
to do that; something he calls rxosd (it's designed to make use of
disks which implement the OSD SCSI protocol, but it creates an
abstraction to create different types of storage backends).

See John, you _should_ have come to the OpenAFS Hackathon, you
slacker! :-)

--Ken