[OpenAFS-devel] comerr patch

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:03:35 -0400

I now have a patch which does my proposal IV.
It's here:
	/afs/umich.edu/group/itd/build/mdw/tmp/afs-comerr-v2.patch.bz2
apply against:
	openafs 1.5.3
(others are likely to work).
this includes:

1. changes to error_msg() to make it "more" like other
	error_message() routines.
	this includes exposing _et_list as a global
	that unsafe libraries that don't do locking can
	use - unsafely of course.
2. afserror.et - weird error tables to hold the 3 error
	ranges the old error_msg understood.
3. compile_et - weird changes to understand the strange format of afserror.et
	(new things: index prefix id base.
	changed things: numbers, new line handling)
4. changed lots of applications to now call initialize_rx_error_table().
	Added copies of afserror.o to various libraries & applications,
	where needed.  In theory, this would allow these various applications
	to be linked against an external copy of error_message,
	provided it understood non-standard bases & provided
	add_to_error_table().

Even if we go with one of the other 3 schemes (I, II, III)
I think at least some of this work is still useful,
especially if we want to work with external libcom_err implementations.

				-Marcus