[OpenAFS-devel] keyring/pag support for linux

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:53:34 -0500

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:36:53PM +0200, Harald Barth wrote:

> > I do wonder if it'd be possible to get IBM to dual licence OpenAFS (IPL/GPL).
>
> You won't even need to start holding your breath. It won't happen.
>
> But there _is_ a kernel module that is dual BSD(3) and GPL, so if the
> IPL would be your only problem, why haven't you fixed things for Arla?
>
> It is still open to me that this whole license discussion is not only
> a front for "we don't want to do this for whatever other reason we
> have to dislike AFS in general and OpenAFS in particular".

At one point, people disliked AFS because they didn't understand it, and
it was a proprietary module that crashed a lot.

Now, I think they just don't understand it, and won't take the effort to
do so unless we send a patch to add a 'setpag' syscall for OpenAFS,
Arla, and NFSv4.

There has been a lot of discussion about the merits of this or that, and
the only way this argument is going to get solved is with running code
that doesn't patch the syscall table and Redhat customers demanding it
be included in a kernel binary.