[OpenAFS-devel] Kernel panic with openafs 1.4.0

Ulrich Seidl Ulrich.Seidl@muneda.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:01:02 +0200

>> Today I've encountered the following kernel panic with openafs 1.4.0 on
>> a Scientific Linux 4 system (RedHat Enterprise 4 compatible). Will this
>> be fixed in 1.4.2?
>>

> That's a bit difficult to tell before we know why it broke.
> I have not seen this particular bug before, someone else
> might.
>
> Let me see... We are in afs_NewVCache() and call osi_Panic().
> Unfortunately osi_Panic() did not write the message string,
> but only called BUG(). (Can we fix that for the future?)
> Normally afs_NewVCache() works, so why did it not work for
> you here?
>
> So the standard questions are:
>
> What file system is your cache partition?
> Size of you cache partition?
> Number if inodes?
> Configured size of your AFS cache?
> Options to afsd?
> I guess your kernel is 2.6.9-34.0.1.ELsmp-MP equivalent to RH, is that correct?
> When did this happen? At startup? Later?
> Any hint on what file operations were going on at the time?
> Can you repeat it?
>
> Harald.

The file system is ext3, the cache is on the root-partition with 27G out
of 36G available (8% out of 4.000.000 inodes used). The cache size is
configured for 100M (100000). The afsd is started as:
"/usr/vice/etc/afsd -fakestat -stat 300 -dcache 100 -daemons 2 -volumes
50 -afsdb". Kernel should be comparable to Redhat Enterprise 4 Kernel.
This happend after some days of uptime and is not reproducible.

Ulrich