[OpenAFS-devel] 1.4.2rc1 fails on RHEL4 2.6.9 kernel: missing keyring defines?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:54:06 -0400

"chas williams - CONTRACTOR" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> so there might be problems with using the key if you are not the owner
> of the key (and not root).  so if you su to nobody you wont be able to
> use the key since you would need "other" permissions but are in posession
> of the key.  atleast this is my take on the reason keys now have
> possessor permissions.  so pags would be functional but have a slightly
> restricted functionality.
>
> but yes, the changes should be tested, but i dont have access to a rhel4 to
> do it myself.

Well, is it better to have a limited keyring support, or no keyring
support at all?  I would claim that partially-working is worse than
not working, so I'm inclined to just turn it off completely if KEY_POS_*
aren't defined.

I don't test the kernel module on all kernels, I only test it on one
kernel (2.6.9-5) and make the assumption that builds on every other
kernel will work, too.

FYI, testing in the key_alloc() isn't sufficient -- it wont turn off
keyring support.

-derek