[OpenAFS-devel] question rxi_getAllAddrMaskMtu()

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:13:52 -0800

Dale Ghent <daleg@umbc.edu> writes:

> Oh I agree. The first time I compiled OpenAFS, my nose scrunched up in
> disgust at the "dirtiness" of the code base and wonder if someone
> replaced the contents of /usr/include on my machine with folgers
> crystals. As Jim Rees says, it's pretty much been a lack of directed
> interest and/or manpower to get this very old code base ported to modern
> standards. Bits and pieces have been ported up here and there, but
> probably done in the course of fixing bugs or adding new functionality.

It's very hard to do this with a large code base.  I did it for INN, and
the exercise took me several years when that was pretty much the only open
source project I was working on.  And it's still not entirely done.

But you can slowly evolve the code in the right direction, and every
little bit is useful on its own.