[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Marcus Watts wrote:

> I'm not sure why solaris needs 5 different versions,
> and some of these wil presumably go away soon.
> 	5.2--5.4
> 	5.7
> 	5.8
> 	5.9, 5.10
> 	5.5 and anything else (5.6).

Really, we should rewrite all the rc scripts. But no one's had time.

> /a/
> 	to install an entry in /etc/name_to_sysnum
> /b/
> 	if
> 		/usr/afsws/etc/package says to do this.
>
> If I remember right, the name_to_sysnum is part of an evil magical
> thing about solaris.  If I recall right, you don't get a working cache
> manager until you reboot with the right stuff in this file, and there's
> just no good way around this.

There was magic to install it anyway but that broke with a kernel
interface change and we had to remove the code, in Solaris 10.

> /usr/afsws/etc/package looks like it's part of some system management
> tool.  I'm not sure why that's here and not in a separate rc file -

It is. As to why not in a separate rc, well, historical. And we won't be
distributing package anymore anyway.