[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.61-042.0704091054180.1487@johnstown.andrew.cmu.edu>,Derr
> ick J Brashear writes:
>> Me either but we took what we were offered, I think.
>>
>> The problem with probing for a free number is, well, if everyone does it I
>> end up with a set of machines each of which may have a different AFS
>> syscall number. Ew.
>
> sigh.  and everyone knows that if i syscall(XYZ) its afs.  but on solaris:

well, i think strace might actually know. but i'm unsure.

> #ifdef SUNOSX
> #define SYSCALL N1
> #elif SUNOSY
> #define SYSCALL N2
> #elif SUNOSZ
> #define SYSCALL N3
> #endif
>
> how pretty.  should the user care what the syscall number is?

not really. how often do users write utilities, though? or do you mean the
editing name_to_sysnum? Well, the admin does it once and then it's done.

> afs utilities could handle probing automatically.  i know external
> programs will have a problem but afs can always first try to put the
> syscall in an expected slot.

well, at least we can do it here and no one is trying to hide the damn sys
call table.