[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:01:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Marcus Watts wrote:

> I envy your ability to install stuff like this on a production machine
> without doing any previous testing.

Yes. That was my bad. I had been afs running on Linux for some time, and
thought it long stable on solaris, and that no testing was needed;
egg/face thing.

I ran afs (from transarc) on HP/UX, and didn't recall any unexpected
reboots.  OSF/TOG might have source from AFS 3.2 somewhere, I think. If
I can find it, I might check to see if it did that back when....

> In our production environment, our production staff won't make this
> kind of upgrade unless it's been thoroughly tested and the phase of
> the moon is just right.

I'm usually like that, too.  Current exception notwithstanding.

> Did you build from scratch or install a binary package?

Scratch.

> What documentation did you read before installing it?  Did it warn you
> that it would reboot?

Foolishly thinking that I'm pretty familiar with afs, and can install
the client from memory, and installing a client in an existing cell, I
didn't refer to the quickstart manual.

> Is there any improvement that can be made to the documentation that
> would have avoided this problem for you?

No. I don't think so, not to the documentation.  My fault was not
reading the docs on a wrong assumption. Changing the docs will not fix
that.

> the "quickstart unix" guide at least appears to warn you that it will
> reboot -- in auqbg004.htm, around line 154 of 281 (generic?), in
> auqbg005.html around linek 1721 of 4427 (solaris specific.), and more
> places too. >

617 344 9000