[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:01:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Dean Anderson wrote:

> The last one would be my preference, but that requires opensolaris to go
> along, and does nothing for existing systems. So, I think a utility
> program is probably going to be necessary. I'd suggest having the
> utility check the sysbind file, and if necessary update it and do
> MODREADSYSBIND. And then no reboot will be necessary for solaris.  I can
> probably do this.

This is actually the best answer I've seen, and I didn't think of it at
all. I do remember reading said code when I was looking at the earlier
panic when solaris 10 was new.

> What to do with the other systems?  Do they really need reboots?  POSIX
> extension for probing syscalls?

Heimdal's libkafs actually has some syscall probing code which is
license-compatible, but it's userspace: it probes to see if our system
call is installed.

We'd have to examine each system to see if a reboot is really needed. Any
system where you still build in the kernel extension (some hpuxes for
instance) obviously you need a reboot but I think actually aside from
Solaris first boot you generally need none, and the RC files just suck.