[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:56:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Robert Banz wrote:

> One could go to the OpenSolaris folks and see if you can't get AFS
> officially allocated a syscall table entry that can be published in
> name_to_sysnum in future versions.

I'll see if I can't make the contacts to do this. I have some other
kernel stuff (RFC1788, RFC4620 support) I'm hoping to get into solaris.

[I'm not convinced a reboot is really necessary] Looking at the solaris
source, I can see that there is a modctl MODREADSYSBIND to read the
name_to_sysnum file. Unfortunately, I don't see any scriptable utility
in the solaris distribution to do this...a utility program will be
necessary.  There are some other alternatives: maybe modload should
always do MODREADSYSBIND before loading a module.  The kernel could also
do this all entirely by itself, just by stat'ing the file to see if it
needs to be re-read when searching for a free syscall entry, which
checking only happens if the name isn't found.

The last one would be my preference, but that requires opensolaris to go
along, and does nothing for existing systems. So, I think a utility
program is probably going to be necessary. I'd suggest having the
utility check the sysbind file, and if necessary update it and do
MODREADSYSBIND. And then no reboot will be necessary for solaris.  I can
probably do this.

What to do with the other systems?  Do they really need reboots?  POSIX
extension for probing syscalls?

617 344 9000