[OpenAFS-devel] Google Summer of Code Student Introduction

Jacob Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:07:58 -0500

--------------enig6304B25CEA1A0ADAAF0C121F

Hi all,

My name is Jake, and I was just accepted by OpenAFS as a Summer of Code=20
student. Jeff suggested we students introduce ourselves to the=20
development community, so that's what I'm doing :-) . I'm a freshman=20
Computer Science major at the University of Minnesota - Morris.

My project entails implementing some of the OpenAFS functionality into=20
the RedHat kAFS code. This will allow for people wanting to use OpenAFS=20
to have code directly in the Linux kernel, as compared to needing to=20
patch the kernel, and then needing the correct version of OpenAFS, etc.

My project is being mentored by David Howells, and contains the=20
following goals:

     *    DNS AFSDB being able to obtain cell server location without=20
using configuration files.
     *    A common pioctl implementation between kafs and OpenAFS.
     *    Making a standard keyring implementation that would allow the=20
client to obtain authentication tokens that would work for both kafs and =

OpenAFS.
     *    Implement some of the OpenAFS file system commands that have=20
not yet been integrated into kafs.
     *    A way for OpenAFS and kafs to be running on the same machine=20
using different port numbers.
     *    Develop a better solution to the local caching feature that is =

currently implemented in kafs .
     *    Complete the kafs callback interface.

I look forward to working with OpenAFS, and learning the ins and outs of =

how OpenAFS works. Congratulations to all the other students who were=20
selected for Summer of Code as well!
--=20
Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (207) 717-5114