[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Volume root corruptions - anybody seen those?

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 16:03:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Rainer Toebbicke wrote:

> 1. never use "salvager -vol",  always shut down the volserver before
> (a challenge with bosserver restarting it), try gymnastics with "vos
> lock", "vos offline", etc...  all looks pretty cumbersome.

Err, you tell bosserver to shut it down using bos. This is pretty basis
afs admin stuff.... I'm a little worried...

> Before I go and implement 2. or 3., please give me your thoughts about
> the scenario if you care (I may have missed something and would have
> to look for another culprit - Derrick hinted at "-orphans attach"
> where I did not understand everything yet), and whether 2. is
> preferable over 3.

Hmm, we haven't seen these problems in 18+ years, so I'm just a little
concernced about whether this is really a problem or not.

Adding unnecessary stateful locks is just more opportunity to get things
screwed up. I think the real question is why salvager would ever be run
when volserver is both running and thinking the volume is online?  How
did you get in that position? (and it isn't because of a lack of locks)

The premise that volserver somehow works on volumes that are offline is
probably where you went wrong, I think. My guess is that you don't
understand the afs system administration and you aren't properly
admin'ing the system so that the volumes are offline when you are
running salvager.

		--Dean

617 344 9000