[OpenAFS-devel] enhance audit logs to support Sys V message queues

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:48:27 -0400

Steven Jenkins wrote:
> I just uploaded a preliminary patch to openafs-bugs (RT #124674) that
> adds support to audit logs for Sys V message queues.  In other words,
> if you run this patch, instead of audit logs going to a file, they can
> go to Sys V message queues.  There is an additional option to
> configure if you want to experiment with this: --with-audit-interface,
> with two options: file and sysvmq, defaulting to file.
>
> As the sysvmq interface has two constraints  - it can drop log
> messages if full and it has a limited message length -  there is an
> audit_PrintStats() function which calls the relevant function in the
> audit interface module (the file interface doesn't need it as it
> doesn't have
> these constraints... it could log how many times it blocked in 'audit'
> though). An invocation of this function to the XCPU signal
> handler is added as well, so now we can see if there are any audit
> messages lost or truncated.
>
> Note that this patch has not been tested (or applied) against 1.4.10
> or 1.5.x, so there may be some integration issues.  If people think
> this patch is useful, we can clean it up and integrate it.

Should this be added as a command-line parameter instead of a compile
parameter?

I say this because you can switch from log files to syslog using a
command-line option. Can we run two or three logging options simultaneously?

I'm not familiar with sysV message queues.

Could you give a couple of usage cases?

Thanks,
Jason