[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS Master Repository branch, master, updated. openafs-devel-1_5_65-15-ge5cf14b

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:36:10 -0400

--001485f7d8c00f3f7b0475488143

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:41:35 -0400
> Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I don't mean you, particularly. Until we have a framework better
> > > than the one contributed 7 years ago for testing, it's all in flux,
> > > and while I could elaborate suggestions for implementing a new one,
> > > unless someone's actually promising to do it, there are more
> > > pressing and useful things I could do *now* with the time.
> >
> > /me nods.  I don't know where a good, solid win is there either, but
> > if someone *does* know where we could make some solid improvements
> > (i.e., stuff we could get done in the short term, not pie-in-the-sky
> > stuff), I'd like to hear it.
>
> Well, you can still write your own tests, completely ignoring the
> existing framework. I have a few volume-operation-related ones I've been
> using recently. Getting them into a robust state takes time I haven't
> spent yet, though; I don't consider them at the level of quality for
> inclusion in the tree at this time.

Sure, even sans-framework having tests is valuable, but until we have a
framework, taking them now means more work later when we get something to
fit them into.

--001485f7d8c00f3f7b0475488143

eason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net">adeas=
" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=
.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:41:35 -0400<br>
.com">steven.jenkins@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
 we have a framework better<br>
&gt; &gt; than the one contributed 7 years ago for testing, it&#39;s all in=
 flux,<br>
&gt; &gt; and while I could elaborate suggestions for implementing a new on=
e,<br>
&gt; &gt; unless someone&#39;s actually promising to do it, there are more<=
br>
&gt; &gt; pressing and useful things I could do *now* with the time.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; /me nods. =A0I don&#39;t know where a good, solid win is there either,=
 but<br>
&gt; if someone *does* know where we could make some solid improvements<br>
&gt; (i.e., stuff we could get done in the short term, not pie-in-the-sky<b=
r>
&gt; stuff), I&#39;d like to hear it.<br>
existing framework. I have a few volume-operation-related ones I&#39;ve bee=
n<br>
using recently. Getting them into a robust state takes time I haven&#39;t<b=
r>
spent yet, though; I don&#39;t consider them at the level of quality for<br=