[OpenAFS-devel] GSoC StrSafe.h project idea

Jonas Sundberg jonas.sundberg@gmail.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 04:34:26 +0200

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 18:49, Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/2010 12:12 PM, Jonas Sundberg wrote:
>> A library like this will have to be tested rigorously. Do you use any
>> specific unit testing framework in the project? I've had some
>> experience with the JUnit framework for Java. Can you recommend a
>> specific one of the similar frameworks available for C?
>
> This is an excellent point. =C2=A0OpenAFS does not have a favorite
> testing framework. =C2=A0It is something that OpenAFS sorely needs.
> A set of tests for each function that test both expected success
> and failure cases would be an excellent addition to this project.

I added this to the project and allocated some time in the project
timeline for researching the available testing frameworks and choose
one to use in the project.

>> I noticed that someone suggested porting some source code to use
>> StrSafe.h as a qualification project. Is there any similar project
>> that you can suggest that would be possible to implement on a Linux
>> platform, or should I set up a virtual machine and set up the build
>> environment on Windows?
>
> Since StrSafe doesn't exist on Linux, it isn't possible to make use
> of the library on that platform which is why I suggested a Windows
> specific change. =C2=A0However, another approach would be to implement
> some of the simpler functions (String{Cb,Cch}{Copy,Cat}A) to show
> an example of your coding style and quality.

I have started on this project, but I haven't had time to finish it
yet. How should I send the code for review? Should I publish it on a
web site somewhere or upload it to some repository?

>> When I've written a draft for my proposal, would it be possible to
>> submit it somewhere and have some comments on what should be improved
>> before the submission deadline? Would it be reasonable to post the
>> draft on the GSoC site and send a message to this mailing list to ask
>> for feedback?
>
> You can submit it to OpenAFS via GSoC and the OpenAFS GSoC mentors
> can provide you private feedback on it via socghop.

I have now submitted my proposal. I am aware that the submission
period is soon over, but if anyone has suggestions for improvements
during the day I would greatly appreciate any improvements that I
should make to the proposal.

Jonas Sundberg