[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Attempting to build a test environment. Help needed

Mohammed Gamal m.gamal005@gmail.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:49:42 +0200

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:10:34 -0400
> Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
>
>> Mohammed Gamal wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I am trying to build a test openafs environment for GSoC work. All I
>> > need is to setup a local cell with some volumes, my main problem is
>> > in the initial setup. I've cloned the source from the git repo and
>> > built them and tried to follow through the guidelines in the quick
>> > start guide, but I am a little bit lost as to what to do.
>> >
>> > Is there any standard scenario for setting up some simple test
>> > environment, or is some public environment available for this
>> > purpose?
>
> You're doing the userspace NFS->AFS translator, right? You don't
> actually need to setup your own cell for that. Until you get to the
> point of developing authenticated AFS access, you can just access any
> publicly-available AFS cell anonymously. If you choose a public cell to
> try testing the translator on, though, you should probably ask the
> administrators first, lest you accidentally DoS them or something.

Basically, what I want to do is very simple. I want to add a -xml
option to the vos examine command. But I want to have some volumes
created so that I can test that output. Would that work if I use some
public cell?