[OpenAFS-devel] Patch for XML switch for vos examine

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:53:31 -0400

On Apr 19, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> On 4/19/2010 2:17 PM, Sanket Agarwal wrote:
>=20
> I would wrap this blob with
>=20
> <cell name=3D"cellname">

I'm torn on this one. You can't run vos e on more than one cell at a =
time, so don't see this as particularly useful in most circumstances. =
However, if it *is* decided that it should be useful, I'd implement as =
jaltman suggests - in particular, don't put the cell name inside the =
volume-specific detail.

Similarly, data like server, server IP address and partition is largely =
redundant when you're dumping many volumes. My xml-foo is amazingly =
week, but something like

<cellname=3D"cellname">
   <server=3D1>
       <uuid=3D"xxxx">
       <ipv4list>
          <ipv4=3D"192.168.1.1">
          <ipv4=3D"10.0.0.1">
       </ipv4list>
       <partitions>
           <vicepa=3D"/vicepa">
           <vicepb=3D"/vicepb">
       </partitions>
   </server>
</cellname>
<volume>
   <name>root.cell</name>
   <id>536870915</id>
   <server=3D1>
   <partition=3D"/vicepa">

would eliminate a helluva lot of redundancy. It might also be worthwhile =
to do this down to a vice partition level, eg,

       <partitions>
           <partition>
              <partid=3D"1">
              <vicepa=3D"/vicepa">
           </partition>
           <partition>
              <partid=3D2>
              <vicepb=3D"/vicepb">
           </partition>
       </partitions>
<volume>
   <name>root.cell</name>
   <id>536870915</id>
   <partid=3D1>

>> why <serv> and not <server>?

Ditto for partition vs part. Right now he's just using the tags as =
reported by -format. I suspect that 'serv' vs 'server' and 'part' vs =
'partition' was intentional on the original author's part; it does make =
parsing of the original ascii output easier. I've used that distinction =
myself for that purpose.

Steve=