[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Patch for XML switch for vos examine

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:41:58 -0500

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:11:00 +0100
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Steve makes a good point.  There is a lot of redundancy.  Since we are
> using XML it would be better to avoid the redundancy when there are
> unique IDs that can be used.  For example, instead of including the
> server details for each volume listed (vos listvldb lists many volumes)
> it would be better to include just the UUID in the volume output and
> then follow the volume list with a list of servers that are identified
> by their UUID and specify the ip-addresses and dns names.

I'm not too familiar with them, but XML's xrefs are a builtin feature to
do this kind of thing. Using those, the user of the xml data doesn't
need to contain the logic for matching up uuids to the server
structures, I think.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net