[OpenAFS-devel] Preferred method for flagging patches as "safe to build"

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:52:00 -0400

--On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:13:06 PM -0400 Jason Edgecombe
<jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> On 07/27/2010 05:48 PM, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>> On 26 Jul 2010, at 17:39, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>>

>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I want some input on how to approve patches for building with buildbot.
>>> I see the following options:
>>>
>>> 1. Make a category in Gerrit and give certain people the ability to set
>>> this category.
>>> 2. Automatically build patches sent from an approved list of people and
>>> additionally build anything with a +1 from that same list.
>>>
>> What we want is 2), but I think the best way of achieving this is by
>> implementing 1), as follows:
>>
>> *) Create a new Gerrit Category - SAFE, with values of 0 or +1
>> *) Create a Trusted Developers Gerrit Group. Allow them to set SAFE
>> values. *) Implement a hook script that automatically gives any patch
>> uploaded by someone in the trusted developers group a +1 SAFE score
>>
> Are there any objections to Simon's proposal? If not, I would like it to
> be implemented. Now that we've started adding slaves, we need to secure
> the code submissions.

I think this is a good model.  We could perhaps start without the automatic
+1 SAFE, in case "trusted" developers want to submit changes that are not
necessarily ready for test builds (for example, a build system change on
which they want further review before deciding it is "safe").

-- Jeff