[OpenAFS-devel] qemu arm slave for buildbot

Chaz Chandler clc31@inbox.com
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 05:21:26 -0800

>> I'm working with someone  who is offering a qemu arm buildslave. The
>> build on the qemu arm hosts takes =7E3 hours. I'm hesitant to have all of
>> the gerrit submissions take three hours to build. A daily build of the
>> git branches might be better in this case.
>=20
> I'm already finding the cycle time of the IRIX build slave hugely
> frustrating, and would be opposed to adding anything that lengthens that
> time further.

I agree that this is frustrating.  However, the IRIX build time could be =
greatly reduced if parallel make worked properly; it can and does in other =
open source projects, but I believe that we're running into issues with =
Makefile assumptions about build order that don't necessarily hold true =
for IRIX.  It is a goal of mine to get this working, but I may need some =
guidance along the way.  Pointers welcome=21

I might suggest that there are some types of source changes which may not =
require the full tree to be rebuilt ... I'm thinking of documentation =
changes in particular, but there may be other things in there as well?  In =
my view, the main advantage of the buildbot system is to test the actual =
code on as many platforms as possible.  If we were to optimize around =
that, for instance by having build submissions to documentation or WINNT =
subdirs, etc., go through different build processes, would that be better? =
 Do we need to test windows-only-related changes on UNIX?  Is buildbot =
configurable enough to do this?

Otherwise, a tiering system may be necessary, especially for very slow =
platforms

-Chaz

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out=21