[OpenAFS-devel] Fileserver deadlocks on Ubuntu Hardy during peak load

Linus Widströmer linus.widstromer@it.su.se
Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:46:42 +0200

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:17:13 -0400, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Linus Widströmer wrote:
>
>> we have started to experience fileserver hangs on our Ubuntu Hardy
>> fileservers running 1.4.6.dfsg1-2+ubuntu0.1
>>
> There were a number of locking fixes/improvements made in the 4.6 ->
4.10
> or 4.11 cycle; see the release notes.

Thanks both Derrick and Steve for your responses. We are currently setting
up a pair of Ubuntu Lucid fileservers (with 1.4.12+dfsg-3) - if the intial
tests pass ok we plan to start bumping our production fileservers as well.
Hopefully the combination of fixed in locking code and the increase of
threads when running fileserver with -L (128 rather than 12) will resolve
our current performance issues.

I'll keep you updated on our progress. Thanks once more for your feedback.

Best regards,
Linus