[OpenAFS-devel] possible issue with 1.6.0-1 and fedora 15

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:46:16 -0500

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 16:13, Todd Lewis <utoddl@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> I'm running a Fedora 15 box with nightly yum updates, kernel
> 2.6.41.1-1.fc15.i686, and an openafs-client 1.6.0-1 with a dkms-generated
> kernel module. Since Thursday (2011-12-1) night's updates, I'm getting
> occasional machine lockups that seem to be associated with AFS file
> access. Yesterday I was able to reliably lock up the machine by attempting
> to attach a file from AFS in Thunderbird. I've also seen a few lockups
> when opening a GNOME Terminal where some of the startup files hit AFS.
> However I cannot definitely associate the problem to AFS; it just "feels"
> related. There's no debugging possible after the lockup -- it's dead to
> the world as far as I can tell.
>
> Is anybody else who's crazy enough to run a yummed fedora experiencing
> this, or have a clue stick you'd care to hit me with?

Hi Todd,

Did you just update to that kernel?  2.6.41.1-1.fc15 is a 3.1 based
kernel, and you're almost certainly running into the problem fixed by
commit 4952df3f0 on master.

You'll need to run something newer than 1.6.0.  The current 1.6 branch
has that fix plus a few others that you should have for 3.1 kernels.

Marc