[OpenAFS-devel] possible issue with 1.6.0-1 and fedora 15

Atro Tossavainen openafs@atrotossavainen.fi
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 23:19:03 +0200

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 04:13:21PM -0500, Todd Lewis wrote:
> I'm running a Fedora 15 box with nightly yum updates, kernel
> 2.6.41.1-1.fc15.i686, and an openafs-client 1.6.0-1 with a dkms-generated
> kernel module. Since Thursday (2011-12-1) night's updates, I'm getting
> occasional machine lockups that seem to be associated with AFS file
> access. Yesterday I was able to reliably lock up the machine by attempting
> to attach a file from AFS in Thunderbird. I've also seen a few lockups
> when opening a GNOME Terminal where some of the startup files hit AFS.
> However I cannot definitely associate the problem to AFS; it just "feels"
> related. There's no debugging possible after the lockup -- it's dead to
> the world as far as I can tell.

This is probably such an obvious thing to ask, but are you able to open
a text console (as opposed to the GUI) and cause a lockup with actions
taken there?  You might get some kernel output that way.  Or attach a
serial terminal as console so you get the kernel output there even when
the lockup happens from within the GUI - and can retain a copy for
easier pasting to a bug report...