[OpenAFS-devel] Re: buildbot changes - adding config.log

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:42:38 -0600

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:42:03 -0500
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> At Andrew Deason's suggestion, I have added a "cat config.log"
> buildstep to the debian-i386, debian-arm, and fedora-arm builders.
> These builders share the same buildfactory. I'm a little concerned
> that the config.log file is ~852K and that is uploaded with each
> build.
>
> Any opinions on whether or not to include this? I hesitate because of
> the bandwidth involved, and I know one of the buildslaves had issues
> with saturating it's upstream pipe.

If this is when I mentioned "it'd be helpful to see the config.log for
that build", I wasn't intending to suggest adding it all builds. I meant
it in more of a "bug the build slave admin about it" vein.

But sure, that could be useful. A possible middle ground is only
displaying it when configure fails, since that should be very rare. The
only other times it would be useful is when a configure test went a
different way than we expected, and in which cases I think it's more
likely to warrant more information than you can represent easily in a
build log (that is, they will be failures where you want to look at
header files on the machine, etc, to see what's going on). So, I'd
expect the number of times where having _just_ the config.log is helpful
would be rather small, so it may not be worth it to include it with
every build.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net