[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [RFC] splitting out CRULE_TARGET from libafs/Makefile.common

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:47:38 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> If that's the way of the future, I don't mind changing a bunch of
>> lines.  I will note, though, that we need to retain (gain?) a way for
>> kernel sources to be compiled with different flags than userland.  The
>> case that I tripped over most recently is that the (FBSD) amd64
>> userland build is compiling with PIC, but when I go to bsd.kmod.mk for
>> libafs, it adds mcmodel=kernel which is incompatible with PIC.  (I
>> currently workaround this by emptying XCFLAGS for the libafs build, but
>> would like other options.)

> _Everything_ is built with PIC? That doesn't seem right.

Everything is built with PIC on most Linux platforms that aren't
ridiculously register-contrained, since unless the userspace libraries are
built PIC, they can't be linked into any other shared libraries.  The cost
of PIC on amd64 is a lot less than on i386.