[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [RFC] splitting out CRULE_TARGET from libafs/Makefile.common

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:58:35 -0500

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:47:38 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> > _Everything_ is built with PIC? That doesn't seem right.
>
> Everything is built with PIC on most Linux platforms that aren't
> ridiculously register-contrained, since unless the userspace libraries
> are built PIC, they can't be linked into any other shared libraries.
> The cost of PIC on amd64 is a lot less than on i386.

I know that's how it is for the libraries, but it doesn't look like we
do that for, say, the fileserver driver sources. Like, viced.o,
afsfileprocs.o, etc.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net