[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [RFC] splitting out CRULE_TARGET from libafs/Makefile.common

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:00:24 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Everything is built with PIC on most Linux platforms that aren't
>> ridiculously register-contrained, since unless the userspace libraries
>> are built PIC, they can't be linked into any other shared libraries.
>> The cost of PIC on amd64 is a lot less than on i386.

> I know that's how it is for the libraries, but it doesn't look like we
> do that for, say, the fileserver driver sources. Like, viced.o,
> afsfileprocs.o, etc.

That would be new.  Maybe someone tightened up the build system since the
last time I looked.  Previously, we just dumped -fPIC into the generic
compiler flags on those platforms in src/cf/osconf.m4 because figuring out
how to build the libraries separately was too hard.