[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:51:25 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:27:05 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> In the last two weeks we have twice hit the point where the slowest
> builders are so far behind the fastest builders that by the time the
> build reports finally get submitted to the coordinator none of the
> build logs are still available for the fastest builders.

I was under the impression that 'make check' does not currently take
long to run. At least, there is at least _one_ buildslave that will run
them pretty quickly. I wasn't suggesting turning it on for all of them.

If we create 'make check' tests that do take a long time, a solution to
that was already suggested; just have a separate target for the quick
and slow tests.

> If the builders are not going to fail the build for a test failure I
> do not see the point of running them for every build as part of
> patchset verification.

How else are we supposed to know if they are going to fail or not when
we turn them on? Right now we are just guessing; they were turned on as
a guess and it broke all of the builders.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net