[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Matt W. Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:25:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I think you guys have established that it's mostly harmless for the file to continue to exist at the fileserver, but that seems to ignore the client semantics altogether.  Like, if a client is going to hoard the file in response to the callback, it must be able to do everything that the protocol specifies to enable that.  That seems to involve keeping its registration, or rather getting a new one.  So new clients can get a registration in the delete window?  Then when it's really gone, they'll get another break callback?  As Simon points out, without improving the callback interface to clarify the state of 'deleting' files, clients trying to actually to use the delete window regularly would degrade the fileserver.

Matt