[OpenAFS-devel] Re: meaning of VNOVOL, VOFFLINE, etc.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 8 May 2012 11:59:18 -0500

On Sat, 05 May 2012 21:02:35 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> http://gerrit.openafs.org/7353

>> The 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 file servers send transient VNOVOL errors which
>> are no indicative of the volume not being present.

To be clear, this in general is not specific to any particular version
nor to DAFS, as this behavior has been present since OpenAFS 1.0.  There
was that one specific mistake in 1.6.0-1.6.1 DAFS, but it's hardly the
only time you see it.

> A second VNOVOL from the same server will remove the server reference
> as before.

It's not immediately clear to me what the implications of this are; does
this mean the just thinks the volume is not at that site until the
client refreshes vldb info?

Does 'replicated' in this context mean RO, or 'more than one site'?
Volumes can certainly be yielding VNOVOL for longer than 2 seconds, but
if that just being "unlikely" is good enough for the failure mode, then
perhaps it's okay.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net