[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Moving Forwards

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:30:40 -0500

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 14:15:11 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <simonxwilkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> We should open up RT to all comers. For most projects, commenting on
> issues in the bug tracking system is the first way that newcomers get
> started. But in OpenAFS, commenting on bugs is restricted to a select
> few. I believe that we should turn this on its head, and give access
> to everything (bar delete) to anyone who wants to be able to comment.
> We're an open source project, not a commercial endeavour, and people
> who are reporting bugs should understand that some of the responses
> may be more useful than others. Again, I would expect this to be self
> policing.

Aside from the spam/abuse angle, which people have covered ("it's a
problem, but tractable")... many extant RT accounts are pretty
restricted. IIRC, I can't 'steal' ownership of anything, or comment on
any ticket I'm not explicitly included on, which makes it pretty darn
difficult to use.

I think that means I can't 'resolve' things owned by other people unless
I get them to explicitly reassign ownership. I also cannot 'delete' spam
tickets and such.

Opening _that_ much up I believe is simpler.

> Thoughts, comments?

Pretty much agree on everything else, I think.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net