IPv6 strawman plan: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Moving Forwards

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:39:58 -0400

--------------enig4CC00F9269B48D411A9D1DF4

According to IBM's attorneys and in my opinion "yes".  You cannot
name your product anything that derives from IBM's mark.  You cannot use
"TurboAFS", "SuperDuperAFS", "The world's first IPv6 AFS", etc.  All of
those uses infringe on their mark.

Jeffrey Altman

On 9/10/2012 11:26 AM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> Am I going to have any problems with trademark nonsense if I call
> this 'AFS6', and use the same ports, but only on IPv6 addresses?
> I don't mean to produce a throw-away implementation, but I also=20
> do not want to confuse anyone that this is anything other than=20
> alpha-use-at-your-own-risk software. (but hey, gmail's been 'beta'
> for years) .... What should I call an ipv6 prototype?
>=20
> I would like to have a working code that I can run regression tests
> against before proposing a standard that interoperates with AFS3
> and ipv4.
>=20
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 01:19:40AM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> While you may fork the code base, you may not fork the AFS3 wire
>> protocols.  If you decide to implement your own extensions to AFS3 you=

>> must follow the rules of the AFS3 standardization and RPC registration=

>> processes.  If you choose not to follow those rules, then you must
>> implement your own wire protocol that will not interfere with AFS3
>> clients and servers.
>>
>> While the approach you describe below might be sufficient for your
>> personal needs, it is unlikely that it would be acceptable to OpenAFS.=

>> Jeffrey Altman
>>

>> On 9/10/2012 12:33 AM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>>> 1) replace kernel filesystem type of 'afs' with 'tfs''
>>> 2) expand all 32 bit IP address data structures to 128 bits
>>> 3) change sockaddr() etc calls to INET6
>>> 4) develop ipv4 afs to ipv6 tfs proxy server