[OpenAFS-devel] Re: slave suggestions for buildslaves?

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:08:02 -0400

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:40:17 -0400
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 15:12 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>

> > For platforms with multiple slaves, we could have two builders, one with
> > all the slaves, and one with only one slave. The single-slave builder
> > could be assigned to the master branch and the multi-slave builder could
> > be assigned to the other branches.
>
> I guess I don't see an advantage to this.  The branches which only get
> pullups once in a while get all the cycles, while the branch where the
> real work happens gets to be starved?
>
> The whole reason this came up is because I noticed it was taking a long
> time for the builtbot to get to changes I submit, even when things are
> relatively quiet, and I wanted to throw more cycles into the pool to
> make that get better.

In addition to more cycles per seconds in the pool of build slaves, we could
make the buildbot master configuration a bit smarter about about scheduling
builds from gerrit. Changes restricted to src/WINNT could trigger only the windows
builders, and changes restricted to src/afs would trigger only unix-y builders.
I would be happy to help with these configuration changes.

Secondly, I think it might be interesting to setup a new scheduler to run the
new tap tests periodically (perhaps nightly) on a set of new build slaves.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net>