[OpenAFS-devel] buildbot compile with --enable pthreaded-bos option

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 17:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> On 09/27/2013 03:09 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> In other buildbot news, in gerrit/10291, Chas/I have added the
>> --enable-pthreaded-bos configure option, which is disabled by default.  Is
>> there a reasonable way to have the buildslaves do a build with it enabled?
>> I think I could create a dummy "do not submit" commit which enables it by
>> default, just to get the build logs, but I was wondering if there's a
>> better way.
>
> I can change the compile commands on the slaves, but it depends on how we
> want to proceed. Here are some options:
>
> * change one or more builders to enable the configure option

I might be wrong, but I think that passing an unkonwn argument to
configure causes a build failure.  So this isn't really an option yet.

> * add new builders with the compile options with or without being
> gerrit-triggered
> * just keep rebasing a gerrit commit as you've done now.
>
> FYI, a builder is just a set commands that is run on one of more build
> slaves. Each builder drives a separate compile on the slave(s). If I schedule
> pthreaded and non-pthreaded builders on the same slave, then 2 builds will
> happen on the same slave and possibly slow things down.

Well, tbozo depends on bozo, so there's not really a need for separate
pthreaded and non-pthreaded builders.  Once we know that master has it and
builds everywhere, we probably want to just turn it on always, to get the
most build coverage.

Given that, it seems that sticking with "just keep rebasing a gerrit
commit" is the best option for now.

Thanks,

Ben