[OpenAFS-devel] Fedora 19 build slave is online

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:57:43 -0400

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

>> I have two questions: Will this slave have a frozen package setup,
>> or will it receive the regular package updates? And what will happen
>> when F19 reaches its EOL?
>>
> Done. The fedora19 builder is now triggered by gerrit.
>
> I don't know. Derek is the admin and would decide that.
>
> My preference is to have the slaves keep up with patches, but others
> have different opinions. After Fedora 19 goes EOL, we could leave it
> as-is, upgrade to fedora 20 or migrate to Centos7 at that time. Having
> a Fedora slave allows us to have a head-start on RHEL/Centos 7. Once
> RHEL/Centos 7 is released (in 2014?), we might want a slave for fedora
> 20+ and one for RHEL7. The discussion of the RHEL5 support timeline
> may pop up at that time.

Right now it has the default configuration.  I honestly don't know if
that means auto-install updates or not, but there's not been anything
new in yum.log since I set the machine up so I suspect it is not
auto-updating itself.  I'm happy to go either way.  I'm happy to keep it
updated semi-regularly manually, I'm happy to leave it as-is, or I'm
happy to try to get it to self-update (although it probably wont reboot
itself so I'm not sure how well that will work in practise).

I'll see what load is like on my VM server and see if I can make another
slave or two (e.g. to host a F20 slave once it is released).  Then once
F19 goes EOL we can decide if we want to keep it around or convert it to
something else.  I can see value in keeping it around past EOL, but is
there value in keeping it *WELL* past EOL?

> Jason

-derek