[OpenAFS-devel] Callbacks on shutdown -- release-team minutes 2014-02-12

drosih@rpi.edu drosih@rpi.edu
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:25:14 -0500

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:40:03 EST Stephan Wiesand wrote:

> == 1.6.7 changes pre announcements ==
>
> Last week, we decided to make 1.6.7+ clients give up their callbacks
> on shutdown, causing problems for older fileservers in the 1.3.50-1.4.5
> and 1.5.0-1.5.27 ranges, without a knob to turn this off, and that this
> should be announced in advance on the -info and -announce lists as well
> as at EAKC. It just wasn't defined who will do it, and when. Postponed
> to a meeting with Jeffrey present, since it was his proposal.
>
> Stephan proposes including the planned fileserver change to
>   -sync=onclose in these announcements.

I'm sorry, but I didn't notice this topic come up before.  What problems
would be seen when these clients connect/disconnect to those ancient
versions of file servers?  I'm not asking that the change be skipped,
but just wondering what behavior would be seen.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =    drosehn@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org