[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Linux module failure: "Unknown symbol test_set_page_writeback"

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:10:45 -0500

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 16:43:15 -0700
Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:

> The openafs module won't load with the current Debian testing kernel.  It
> fails with:
>
> [23378.773381] openafs: Unknown symbol test_set_page_writeback (err 0)
>
> Is this something that's already fixed in the stable branch or at
> least in Gerrit?  If so, could someone point me at the patches?

We don't reference that directly anywhere, from what I can see. The
kernel headers are supposed to expand set_page_writeback to
test_set_page_writeback, or in newer linux, to
__test_set_page_writeback. Is it possible something is picking up the
wrong headers for the kernel for the compile, or anything like that?

The symbol name changed in linux upstream commit
1c8349a17137b93f0a83f276c764a6df1b9a116e. Debian's
linux-headers-3.14-1-common version 3.14.12-1 appears to have the
correct definitions in its headers and everything.

But that's all just from looking at the code (and changes; I don't see
anything we've done that's relevant); I haven't actually tried building
against it. If you don't think there's anything wrong/weird with the
headers, I'll try it myself; you don't need to "prove" it or anything.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net