[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Linux module failure: "Unknown symbol test_set_page_writeback"

Russ Allbery eagle@eyrie.org
Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:51:14 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> We don't reference that directly anywhere, from what I can see. The
> kernel headers are supposed to expand set_page_writeback to
> test_set_page_writeback, or in newer linux, to
> __test_set_page_writeback. Is it possible something is picking up the
> wrong headers for the kernel for the compile, or anything like that?

Oh, good call.

The problem was that there was an ABI break in the 3.14 kernel series that
the Debian kernel maintainers didn't catch.  The module was built against
an older version of 3.14, and I didn't think to try rebuilding it because
the ABI hadn't changed.  Rebuilding the module with the current kernel
headers fixes the problem.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>