[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Compiling openafs on arm64/aarch64 architecture

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:36:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Micheal Waltz wrote:

> On 09/03/14 14:04, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:
> > It looks like setcontext()/getcontext() will work on this system!
> >
> > If Andrew's latest patch he sent doesn't let you build a working lwp
> > then I will see if I can figure out what else is needed if someone else
> > doesn't figure it out first.
> >
> Chas, that's great news about setcontext()/getcontext() on aarch64. It does
> look like the combination of patches worked and allowed it to compile fully. I
> responded to Andrews thread with a combined patch file that should work.

I suspect that we can persuade the release manager to let these in for
1.6.10, but we'll see.  Someone will need to submit them to gerrit for
consideration, and they would go through the master branch, first.

> I did just run into the Debian openafs-modules-dkms that was built from the
> 1.6.9 Debian source with this patch applied failing on:
>
> checking your AFS sysname... configure: error: An AFS sysname is required
>
> I haven't had time to dig into it much, but this is blocking the compilation
> of the kernel module.

See src/config/afs_sysnames.h; a new block will need to be allocated, I
think.  There is a registry of sysname ranges at
http://www.central.org/numbers/index.html, but I think some changes have
been made in openafs that have not yet made it there.  (Hi, jhutz!)

Along with a sysname allocation, it will also need a param.h precursor,
akin to the various param.foo.h files in src/config.  You may end up
needing to add some conditionals to src/libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.in; I
really have no idea what to expect.

-Ben