[OpenAFS-devel] old gerrit changes to revisit prior to branching 1.8?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:06:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Now that we are talking about branching for 1.8, I figured it would be
worth going through those one-off patches I've had sitting in gerrit for a
while awaiting review, and see which ones are worth revisiting and
rebasing/polishing to get in before the branch.  Feedback from gatekeepers
in particular about which ones they'll have enough time to look at is
quite welcome, as well as general feedback about the merits of the changes
themselves.  (I suspect other people have some patches floating around in
this state, too; go ahead and send your own lists.)

9918 (Remove FOREIGN):
Removes client code to display data in a pts entry somehow relating to
foreign users.  Probably requires too much analysis time to be worth it.

10338 (Update 'now' when raising events):
Some rx_event tweaks to update our sense of the current time while
processing events, in case we have a lot or they take a while.  I no
longer remember whether I had an operational issue that prompted this
patch, and jhutz notes that some other places probably need adjustment as
well.  Might be more effort than it's worth given a deadline.

10528 (rx: Named values for securityObjectStats types):
Some general cleanup to avoid having magic constants scattered throughout
the tree.

10531 (Fix some nits around the symlink VOP):
Tweaks to variable names to match the general practice, and whitespace
cleanup.

10579 (Restore marker when scrolled past end of UserList):
Fix a minor regression.

10840-10843 (use hcrypto for rx epoch/cid):
This set of commits brings the rx epoch/cid generation into the core rx
code, instead of relying on rxkad to do it for us the first time it is
used.  To do this, we need to insure that we have a source of random
numbers for use by rx in the kernel, which is not currently the case (some
platforms have implementations that just panic).  Also includes some
additional cleanup that the core change makes possible.  I think we should
try to get this in pre-branch.

10950 (Disallow creating users with ANONYMOUSID):
Seems to have broad support.

10989-10992 (data stream protection for bos clients):
Support for using integrity protection and/or encryption for
privileged RPCs, reducing somewhat the attacks available to a man in the
middle on a superuser's connection.

11139 (export some kauth symbols for libadmin sample apps):
Another one that is not verified due to being on top of 11138.  Needed for
11095, the next one.

11095 (Remove a couple more uses of libafsauthent.a):
The current version didn't build on some platforms because it's on top of
11138 which needs more work); a rebased version without that dependency
would probably be okay.  The changes are only in sample/test code, so may
not be worth the effort right away.

11323 (Sort libtool symbol files):
Seems like a no-brainer.

11324 (Use a better version for Debian export symbols):
Not terribly relevant since Debian has its own packaging repo, but more
Correct.

11380 (Attempt to clean up tvolser dependencies):
A bit more recent than the others.  Just some general cleanup of make
dependencies.

I skip the really recent ones from the past few days, as those may yet get
attention on their own.

-Ben