[OpenAFS-devel] rethinking log rotation

Christof Hanke christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:37:22 +0100

On Tuesday 27 Jan 2015 21:11:45 Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 11:23 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 23:17 -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> >> I am hearing this as support for the external rotation solution, then?
> >
> > I am hearing it that way --- and I agree with it. There was a time when
> > some kind of log management had to be part of each program (and probably
> > we will need to retain a way to keep doing it, for very old
> > installations) --- but there are better ways these days, and unlike some
> > changes of that sort (think about we have bits and pieces of a
> > configuration management system hanging around), this one is relatively
> > low impact because most systems already come with some kind of log
> > management.
>
> Should the paths for the log files be moved? Is there an option to
> specify the path for the log files?
When you are packaging openafs, the paths are decided by the distribution, not
upstream.
Thus, for SuSE, I move them to /var/log/openafs (and shuffle also all other
paths) to stay inline with the distribution. That's fine by me.
If you move the paths for the logfiles, then why not for all the other stuff ?
This might break a lot of things.
So I'd say keep it as it is.

Other than that, I agree with the external rotation solution.

Christof