[OpenAFS-devel] Migrating Fedora Build Slaves -- which to keep?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:38:47 -0400

Hi,

I'm in the process of (slowly) migrating my VMs from an 8-year-old
vmware-server deployment to more current ovirt-based VM solution.  As
part of this migration I'm planning to cull my unused servers.

Right now I've got OpenAFS Build Slaves for Fedora 19-24 (19-23 on the
old server, 24 on the new).  My question is: which VMs should be
migrated, and which should be culled?  Obviously we want 23 and 24; and
I'll install 25 in two weeks once it's released.  But what shall I do
with 19-22?

Note that I don't mind migrating all of them.  I also don't mind
decommissioning any that you deem worthy.

I guess the question is: for how long after a release is EOLed should we
keep the build server around?  Is there a general OpenAFS build server
policy for how long to keep a build slave around?  If not, should we
have a policy?

Thanks,

-derek

PS: FWIW, I tend to continue to run my fedora systems for ~1-3 years
after EOL.  I tend to upgrade my desktop every ~3 fedora releases, my
servers tend to last ~5.