[OpenAFS-devel] Migrating Fedora Build Slaves -- which to keep?

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Sun, 6 Nov 2016 21:08:36 +0100

Hi Derek,

On Nov 5, 2016, at 20:38 , Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I'm in the process of (slowly) migrating my VMs from an 8-year-old
> vmware-server deployment to more current ovirt-based VM solution.  As
> part of this migration I'm planning to cull my unused servers.
>=20
> Right now I've got OpenAFS Build Slaves for Fedora 19-24 (19-23 on the
> old server, 24 on the new).  My question is: which VMs should be
> migrated, and which should be culled?  Obviously we want 23 and 24; =
and
> I'll install 25 in two weeks once it's released.  But what shall I do
> with 19-22?
>=20
> Note that I don't mind migrating all of them.  I also don't mind
> decommissioning any that you deem worthy.
>=20
> I guess the question is: for how long after a release is EOLed should =
we
> keep the build server around?  Is there a general OpenAFS build server
> policy for how long to keep a build slave around?  If not, should we
> have a policy?

I doubt that there's a policy. =46rom the point of view of someone =
pressing the submit button based on code review and buildbot =
verification: the more the marrier, as long as a build slave is reliable =
and not terribly slow.

I don't think we should spend effort on supporting obsolete =
distributions. But we sure don't deliberately break them. And every =
successful build on a different distro, with a different tool chain and =
against a different kernel is an important data point for judging the =
correctness of a change.

If keeping an old build slave alive keeps you from developing/submitting =
changes, reviewing other's, testing prereleases etcetc, that would be a =
good reason to cull it and rather spend the time on those other =
activities. Otherwise, well, please see above.

Whatever you decide to keep or cull, thanks a lot for providing those =
build slaves all along!

- Stephan

--=20
Stephan Wiesand