[OpenAFS-Doc] PR Pamphlet

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:35:51 -0500

Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com> wrote:
> ---  I started working on a PR pamphlet for OpenAFS.    The idea is
> that if we ever have a booth at a conference or somesuch (like, say,
> the upcoming Ohio Linux Fest, or even SCALE), we can have something
> informative to pass out.

I might actually be able to go to the Ohio Linux fest...  Does OpenAFS
have a booth?

> - "Who uses OpenAFS?"  [which I'll make sure to get permission from
> the places before I use 'em; right now I have placeholders]
> - "Why Use OpenAFS?"  [two sections, because I found that one section
> just didn't work right]
>
> That's 4 out of 6.  Ideas for the other two?

Some of the most common questions on #openafs involve people assuming
that OpenAFS does read-write replication.  People go through the huge
hassle of setting up a cell only to find that AFS does not replicate RW.
That being said, I do not know how to put in a good way a list of things
that AFS does not support.  Especially for a pamphlet.

Probably would be good to get some space on the pamphlets for sponsors
to cover printing costs.  Assuming there are companies that would want
to cover printing costs.

A list of things in AFS that are anonymously accessible (and that people
would care about) might be good.

> --- FWIW, I also continue to take swipes at the FAQ section of the
> Wiki.  The grand plan there is to eventually have a new "one shot" FAQ
> that can be quickly read & posted places.  It's definitely waay too
> much for the pamphlet.

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/WebHome states that the
wiki is down.  (The links from http://grand.central.org point here.)

Is http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/ the correct, official
location?  I don't supose that something simple like
http://wiki.openafs.org could redirect to there?  Or even
http://www.openafs.org/wiki ?

<<CDC