[OpenAFS] Authentication problems with 1.0.4

Charles Clancy mgrtcc@cs.rose-hulman.edu
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:01:17 -0500 (EST)

> > I can configure the client, but whenever I try to log in, it always
> > says Error: 62 (password is incorrect)

> sorry to say, but i built that release and never testing standard the
> standard klog.  we use aklog here (even on windows nt).  i assumed that
> since everything else worked, everything was fine.

> i get a variety of strange messages from klog from 'badly skewed clocks'
> to 'missing realm' -- the whole windows nt klog is strange since it
> does krb v4 to authenticate you.

If you run command-line klog, you'll see:
C:\Documents and Settings\mgrtcc>klog mgrtcc
Password:
** Can't determine local cell name!
Unable to authenticate to AFS because password was incorrect.

This is a bit more informative.  Where does klog try and find the ThisCell
information?

If I change my clock to the wrong time, I see:
C:\Documents and Settings\mgrtcc>klog mgrtcc
Password:
** Can't determine local cell name!
Unable to authenticate to AFS because server and client clocks are badly
skewed.

I find that interesting.  If it can't determine the local cell name, how
does it know which server to check the time against?

      Charles Clancy -- mgrtcc@cs.rose-hulman.edu
Senior UNIX Administrator, Rose-Hulman Computer Science