[OpenAFS] multiple backup volumes

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 03:44:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Claude Lecommandeur wrote:

>    Hello,
>
>    I have carefully read the openAFS documentation, but I saw nowhere the
> possibility to make multiple backup volumes of the same r/w volume. It would
> be very interesting, to allow users to retrieve themselves files lost several
> days ago. One can have 7 daily backup volumes creations, and users can retrieve
> files deleted any of the last seven days.
>
>    Do I miss something, or is there a plan to do this ?

It has been discussed; VLDB extensions at the RPC and probably database
levels would be needed and in order to make it interesting you'd also want
to be able to dump and restore "volume diffs" so you could move a volume
and its n backup volumes and keep space utilization as if all the changes
had been merely copy-on-writed on the new server.

That I know of no active development is going on on it this moment.

-D