[OpenAFS] [Fwd: Re: [Globus-discuss] globus & AFS-LSF]

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:51:54 -0500

Other AFS sites might be interested using other authentication systems to
obtain AFS tokens. This is a response to a user who has such a need.
extra comments [...] where included for those who don't know what Globus and GSI are.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Globus-discuss] globus & AFS-LSF
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:34:49 -0500
From: "Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov>
To: aparrini@tiscalinet.it
CC: discuss@globus.org

The AFS file system requires one to be authenticated to the file servers in order to
access AFS files. This is normally done with by using the AFS klog command to gets an
AFS token, which is stored in the UNIX kernel. Every access to the AFS file servers uses
the token and the DES encryption key in the token to prove to the file server that it is
you who is requesting access.

The AFS klog command requires you to enter your AFS password. But when authenticating
via GSI and Globus, your AFS password is not available.

We have two solutions for this, which use your GSI proxy credentials to authenticate
to the AFS servers to get you an AFS token: SSLK5 and GSIKLOG.

[GSI is part of Globus, see http://www.globus.org  GSI is a GSSAPI implementation using
SSL and X509 certificates. It is built on OpenSSL. The proxy credential is a X509
certificate
chain which has been delegated from the client to a server.]

If you have Kerberos V5, DCE or a W2K domain you can use the SSLK5 solution,
which treats the AFS servers as other services in the realm/cell/domain.
The SSLK5 is used to get a Kerberos V5 ticket from the SSLK5D which is run
by the security admins. This K5 ticket is used with the MIT krb524d to get
you an AFS token. The K5 ticket can be used for other K5 services as well,
such as to get a DCE context to access DFS.

If you do not have any of the above or don't want to get a K5 ticket,
you can use the GSIKLOG. This uses your proxy to authenticate to the GSIKLOGD
run by the AFS administrators, which returns an AFS token.

[The GSIKLOG could actually be linked against any GSSAPI for authentication, but
we are using the GSI.]

The Globus gatekeeper can be setup to automatically call the sslk5 or gsiklog
using the delegated proxy for you. It is then upto the job manager and job
scheduler to propagate the token or K5 ticket. (Not all job schedulers may do this
as expected.)

These packages can be found at ftp://achilles.ctd.anl.gov/pub/DEE/

SSLK5 is sslk5-1.2.2-20010521.tar, but also requires modifications
to the MIT Kerberos source, located in ../kerberos.v5/README

The GSIKLOG is gsiklog-0.3.tar The GSIKLOG is still new but much simpler.

Contact me if you are interested in either.

P.S. My home directory is in AFS too.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory