Correction - [OpenAFS] Win2K command line drive mapping

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:03:49 -0400

"Patrick J. LoPresti" wrote:

> "James Peterson" <jimpeter@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Sorry about my previously incomplete message.
> >
> > You are correct Global Drive Mapping doesn't seem to work.   I'll look into
> > it.
> >
> > You can use NET USE to map your drives.
> >    Set Start AFS Client when computer starts
> >    place in your logon script:  net use T: \\yourComputerName-afs\yourPath
>
> How do you do this if the logon script is shared among many machines?
> (Is there a reason \\localhost-afs\yourPath could not be made to work,
> for example?)
>
> I am curious how one is supposed to carry out a large-scale AFS
> deployment to Windows machines.  Is there a reason for tying the AFS
> configuration to the machine name?  At first glance, it seems like
> needless variation among the clients.
>
>  - Pat

Hi Pat,
    I'm in the same basic situation.  One possible solution
(that I have not tested or even attempted) is to use Samba
as your PDC with OpenAFS for file sharing.
Samba will let you specify individual login scripts on
a per machine basis, thus allowing you to insert the
machine name in each of the individual scripts.
Not very scalable, of course, but possibly functional
until something like your above suggestion could be implemented,
or Global Drive mapping is fixed.  I like your localhost idea
better, though, since it would allow a single script method
versus having to use the OpenAFS GUI on each client to
establish the drive mapping.

-Dj

--
---
Dj Merrill                          Thayer School of Engineering

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous