[OpenAFS] 1.04a : global drive not working on W2k

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:10:05 -0400

Michel Jouvin wrote:

> I installed openafs on a W2K + SP2 box (french version). Everything
> seems to work properly except Global drive. If I try to open the
> defined global drive, I get an error message : "P:\ not accessible,
> network path not found". I have no problem if I define a drive letter
> with 'drive letter' tab in AFS Client.
> Is it something known ?
> Thanks in advance for any hints.
> Michel

    Hi Michel,
        I've been in contact with James Peterson on this list, and he
is aware of and is looking at the problem.

    With help from him and others, there is a work-around
which has actually worked better in my situation, since it
allows me to map a drive letter from within a login script
versus having to configure each client through the AFS GUI.
You can map a drive letter to afs space from the command line.
I've created a simple login.bat file that my Win2K clients run
when someone logs into them:
net use t: \\%ComputerName%-afs\all

    The /all translates to /afs. The %ComputerName% is a variable
name that substitutes the actual name of your local workstation
when run.  The T: can be any free drive letter of your choice.

    For example, on a machine called "testme", the command
gets translated as
net use t: \\TESTME-afs\all,
and gives you a T: drive pointing to /afs in AFS space.

Here is some other info sent by James:
-----
I think you have a problem with name resolution, if you change the NET USE
statement to use the share name rather than 'AFS' (a must for Win9x
client), you will probably get better results.

The share name can be determined by the following:
   Start the AFS Client Configuration
   Select Tab - Drive Letters
   Select - Advanced

The submount name (YourShareName) associated with the AFS Path = \afs is
the share name you want to use.

Your command would then look like:  NET USE \\%ComputerName%\YourShareName
-----

    So for example you could create a submount "deepinafs"
which points to /afs/your.domain/deep/in/afs/space,
then "net use T: \\TESTME-afs\deepinafs
would give you a T: drive that maps directly
to /afs/your.domain/depe/in/afs/space.

    Hope this helps!

-Dj

--
---
Dj Merrill                          Thayer School of Engineering

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous